Monday, October 27, 2008

Report from the Louis/Dressner Tasting

I was so adamant about going to this tasting that I threatened to quit if I was unable to go. I usually only get that excited when the Melvins are playing or my best friend is coming to town. As usual it was another very hectic morning at the Chateau, but I was on a mission to get my work done and go. Ariel showed up so I could leave, but out of the corner of my eye I saw two gentlemen fondling my Pappy 23. I had to turn around and talk bourbon...one of my favorite past-times. After 20 minutes, I excused myself and ran to the tasting. I still made it with an hour and a half of tasting time.

I had a laundry list of the wines I wanted to taste, but after seeing the spread of wines, my plan of attack went out the window. My main goal at this point was to try as much red as possible, move onto the sparkling and then hit up the whites.

I thought I would do my hit list of yummy juice....

Laurent Barth Marckrain Grand Cru Gewurtraminer 2006- This was probably one of the best Gewurtraminer's I've ever tasted. Lots of apricot with a dry sweet spice long finish. It ruled.
Retail price: about $40

Clos du Tue-Boeuf Cheverny Rouge 2007- a lovely little wine full of chocolate and cherries.
Retail price: $18 - $20

Franck Peillot Montagnieu Brut NV (Petillant)- rich and yeasty...just the way I like my sparkling
Retail price: $20 - $22

Francois Pinon Vouvray Petillant Brut NV- I love this sparkling wine and can't figure out how it is I don't have this at the store yet.
Retail price: $22 - $25

Larmandir-Berneir Brut Blanc de Blancs Premier Cru NV- We tried this in the store a few weeks ago and was completely in love with it. A bio dynamic Champagne with very little dosage. It's bone dry but has a very full mouth with a good balance of fruit and minerality. This is probably going to be my NYE Chompers this year.
Retail price: $58 - $60

The Eric Texier table was packed the whole time I was there...I sort of gave up on waiting in line to taste, but did manage to try his 2005 Cote-Rotie VV...yowzers that was good.
Retail price: $72 - $75

The Terre Dorees Line Up...I heart Jean-Paul Brun. He's the rock star of the Beaujolais world and all of the wines I tasted backed up that statement. All of them were great, but my favorites were th L'Ancien Vieilles Vignes 2007, the 2007 Fleurie was absolutely gorgeous and his 2007 Moulin-a-Vent was smokin' hot- big and bold with an elegance that is found in many of the great Cote du Nuits. The wines range from $16 - $26. Yay!

Going on a Beaujolais spree, I tasted the Georges Descombes 2006 Morgon and the 2007 Regnie, both of which were D E L I C I O U S. All I put after the Morgon was "holy crap that's good". If I had my way, I would hook that bottle of Morgon up to an IV.
Retail price: $26 - $30

Roagna: I've only had the good fortune to try this famous Italian producer twice before. Once was a bottle of 96 Paje Barbaresco and another time at the Polaner tasting two years ago. This time I got to try all the early 01 Barolos which were surprisingly elegant. I think Dressner was right when he compared the Vigna Rionda 2003 to La Tache. There were six on the table and I want them all! Actually there were 7 but I never made it back to try the white Roagna. Reminder to self...ask Polaner rep for a taste next time he has that bottle out.

As I'm going through my tasting booklet I realized I missed the best table of all...the table with all the 1988 vintages. I am kicking myself firmly in the ass as I read through the list of wines that I missed. The biggest bummer, missing the Chidaine Montlouis Clos Habert 1988....DAMN!

Still trying to taste all the reads I stumbled over to the Thierry Puzelat bottles. I triple starred his Le Telquel VDT 2007 Rouge. Inexpensive and really really really good. I wrote a big fat YAYTouraine Rouge "Pouille" 2006, but was diggin the "In Cot We Trust". Huge robust flavor. Malbec from France rules. I might have found my new Loire Valley darlings.

Just as I was finishing up the Puzelat, I ran into my Polaner rep Michael who pointed out the Massa Vecchia. Always listen to your wine rep at a tasting. They rarely will let you down. The Rosato was unlike any other rose I've ever had. Rich, full bodied and absolutely luscious. It was more red than pink. Even with the sticker price leaving me in shock...I still wanted it. Michael pointed out I should keep myself in check since that was only their rose and I hadn't even tried the big guns, their Rooso Querciola IGT Maremma 2004. All I could write was "cry so good." My plan was to quickly taste everything else and run back to DRINK those. They were also next to the Radikon table. Michael was tempting me with their pure silkiness, but I had so much more to try and about 30 minutes left. I put the Radikon on my "go back to it and drink" list.

I quickly dashed over to the sparkling table to find it almost all gone. The biggest disappointment

under the wine heading. I was also impressed with his being that there was no Saint
Peray left to sample. My associate Tara and I had been on a mission to try some for 6 months with no luck. I told Joe how disappointed I was to be so close yet so far, and he was kind enough to obtain a sample for me.

Twenty minutes to go and I finally got in the Texier and then ran over to try the Chidaine and Pinon. I don't know how to choose. They're all sooooo good, especially the 2006 ChidaineMontlouis Clos Habert. It tastes like a fine aged still champagne. Unbelievable! As if that wasn't good enough, I tried Pinon 2005 Vouvray Cuvee Botrytis. My mouth was in a state of ecstasy.

The people who were working the tasting were pulling bottles off the table as I was still running around trying to taste everything. I never even made it to the Brenton, but I left feeling very satisfied with everything else I got to try. My only other disappointment was that Joao from Quinta do Infantado cancelled and I never got to worship his port in front of him.

Now I need to figure out what I can bring into the store and where to put it.


No comments: