Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My Journey through France- Champagne

Drink count: 1 glass of knob creek @ the airport
8 different Champagnes

The journey began at JFK late Monday night on January 21st. I won't bore you with the boring details of waiting till midnight in the airport before taking off...so let's just jump into it.

Stuart, Michael and I arrived late on Tuesday and immediately got into our rental and headed off to Champagne. I wish I could say navigating the French roads was easy, but I haven't seen so many roundabouts, signs and absolute confusion on the highway. Here's a link to our route.


View Larger Map

And just so you can see some of the view on the way to Champagne...


We arrived at Duval-Leroy only slightly late and met up with the other half of our party; Nate, Bob & Mike. Michel, Duval-Leroy's sales manager, greet us and introduced us to his co-worker who gave us a tour of the facilities. This was my first time EVER at a winery and I was trying my best not to go nuts like I usually do at an amusement park. I tried to contain myself and keep my energy focused on taking pictures and listening to their story.


When the tour was over, Michel lead us to their off-site cellar that was originally a Roman limestone quarry. It reminded me of the Byzantine cisterns but with 10 million champagne bottles. Everywhere you turned were stacks of champagne bottles. The vintage were down there for at least 3 years while the non vintage ones are held for 2 years. During WWII, the cellar was used to store bombs and lock up prisoners. On a lighter note, we were treated to a freshly disgorged bottle of 1996 non dosage. Finally, something to drink!


Michel took Michael and I with him in his car going to the Roman cellars and then to the hotel. In the short amount of driving time, I soon realized that Michel was a Champagne spy. He knew every place that Duval-Leroy was served and all the places he needed to get his champagne into. He didn't let any moment pass where he couldn't slip in a sales pitch about his brand. His charm was just increadible and I couldn't wait to go back to the winery and have dinner with everyone.


Michel went all out for dinner, setting up a Magnum of the 99 Blanc du Blanc to go with our snacks of salted meats, comte and bread. By the time I sat down, I think I had already downed enough champagne for the night, but of course the evening was just beginning. Here's what followed: Paris N/V, 96 La Femme, 99 Trepail 1er Cru (organic), Cuvee Leroy Neiman N/V, 99 Cumieres 1er Cru (organic) and then the Lady Rose with dessert.


I have no idea what time we made it back to the hotel, but it had felt like I had been awake for 3 days and already been in France for 3 months. I can't believe how quickly sleep went and we were eating breakfast and back in the car to try some more wine.

No comments: