Tuesday, September 2, 2008

New Cocktail Concoction

Months ago I was introduced to the Sorrel flower after trying it as a drink in a local Roti shop. I was instantly hooked to it's somewhat sweet, tart and spicy flavor combo. After making vats of tea with it, I looked to my bar/altar and found some Sauza Blanco. Pefect for experimenting with the flavors of Sorrel.

Sorrel has a bit of a tart fruit flavor to it, reminiscent of wild strawberries and cranberries. It's usually paired with cloves and ginger, but I thought the agave flavor in tequila would go quite nice. It took four days to fully infuse the sorrel, ginger and cloves with the tequila. Everyday, I shook, smelled and tasted until it was time to filter out everything. Into the fridge it went until last night when a friend was asking for a margarita.

After spending the entire day watching the West Indies Parade, I thought a drink more Caribbean than Mexican would be right. Not having any rum on hand, it was only fair to use the sorrel infused tequila into my Caribbean Stormy Margarita Mash Up. Here's what I came up with:
4 oz Sorrel infused tequila
2 oz Ginger Beer
Fresh squeezed lime juice
Ice
Pour the tequila over ice in a highball glass. Add fresh lime juice and top off with ginger beer.

It was spicy and sweet, very refreshing and a bit too easy to drink. Needless to say, it was the perfect beverage after watching hours of feather dancers and listening to a variety of Soca and Reggae.

Here are some pics (these were taken with my phone so they're not the best):

No comments: